Sailfish Sports Project is a local nonprofit organization helping youth stay off drugs and alcohol, and build better futures through aquatic opportunities. We do this through providing before / after school program in swimming for youth ages 6-18, sponsoring summer leagues, and supporting education that helps children get involved in the sport.
Sports activities provide balanced, stable, and rhythmic physical learning that can build lasting principles and qualities for life success. Activity in water provides additional soothing benefits because of the physical water pressure’s effect on the body and brain.
This is why the focus of our mission is to offer each child a chance to develop in a healthy way and to enjoy success through being part of structured aquatic activities, and thus secure a higher quality of mental and physical well-being.
- Provide a stable and organized environment where youth and their families experience a sense of belonging and social connection. This is of vital importance now more than ever in light of social distancing and limited extracurricular activities.
- Address the primary reasons for youth addiction and bad behavior: Lack of feeling connected in the community, a need for fun, and to address stress, according to Matforce.
- Increase physical fitness through balanced, stable, and rhythmic physical learning that can build lasting principles and qualities for life success.
- Improve mental focus: Chronic exercise enhances spatial learning, pattern separation, executive function, working memory, and processing speed.
- Achieve long-term goals through gaining college scholarships.
- Provide training for economically disadvantaged athletes.